Cinema for me is…
Sofia in 10 frames
1. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The film that made me fall in love with cinema is In the Mood for Love from Wong Kar-Wai. There is something unique about this film, the subtle but yet strong romance and powerful connection of the characters make it very special to me.
2. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Triangle of sadness (2022) – Ruben Östlund (Sweden)
The Worst Person in the World (2021) – Joachim Trier (Norway)
Magnetic Fields (2021) – Yorgos Gousis (Greece)
3. What does Europe mean to you?
1. Unity 2. Trust 3. Solidarity
4. What do you like the most about your country that makes it unique?
What I like the most about my country is that, to me, Greece is surrounded by an energy filled atmosphere led by a spontaneous mentality. Greek people love to live in the moment and I find it fascinating and inspiring every single time.
5. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
My favorite film theatre is CineCinema Amaliada which’s in my hometown. It is an old ice factory reformed into a cinema. I also have to mention the amazing cinema I’m representing, Mikrokosmos, as they provide such an incredible selection of excellent films to watch.
6. What is your dream job in the film industry?
My dream job is making it as a film director as I find great joy in creating, expressing myself through art, bringing ideas to reality and an idea to an image.
7. Which film director would you like to be?
If I were to become one of the directors I admire I would choose to be Sofia Coppola. To me, she’s very inspiring as she is a woman in the industry with a very distinctive voice, strong creative vision, making powerful and timeless films.
8. Which film character do you most identify with?
The character I identify the most with is Andrew from Whiplash. His drive to become the best possible version of himself but also his strive for perfection kind of remind me of myself.
9. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
My favorite soundtrack is the music made for the film Zorba The Greek by our bright composer Mikis Theodorakis. This music has become highly associated and correlated with Greece and the greek syrtaki. The impact and influence it had on the whole world are the reasons I consider it to be a significant part of our culture and national heritage.
10. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
I don’t really know why but I would choose Cheap Smokes. The idea of finding unexpected love, discovering your thoughts and feelings all in a worry free and empty of people warm city night seem very appealing to me.