Cinema for me is…
Marta in 11 frames
1. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Chunking Express (HK, 1994) directed by Wong Kar-wai. After watching it for the first time, I felt a mix of melancholia and nostalgia for moments I had never experienced.
2. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Triangle of Sadness (Ruben Östlund, SE, 2022)
Close (Lukas Dhont, BE, 2022)
Wolf and Dog (Cláudia Varejão, PT, 2022)
3. What does Europe mean to you?
Europe to me means a sense of belonging, home and unity.
4. In 2024, I think it is important to vote in the European elections because:
The European elections give us the chance to be heard and the power to shape what kind of Europe we want to live in – one that values democracy, supports youth empowerment, protects fundamental rights and encourages culture.
5. What do you like the most about your country that makes it unique?
As I answer this questionnaire, I am surrounded by the beauty of Portugal. The sky is light blue. The warm embrace of sunlight illuminates everything around me. My neighbours are playing a typical Portuguese song, “Canção de Engate” by António Variações, that is filling the air. This moment embodies what I like the most about Portugal: its friendly people, amazing music, beautiful light, and wonderful weather.
6. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
My favorite film theatre is Cinema Trindade in Porto, Portugal. Cinema Trindade holds a very special place in my heart: when I started to visit this film theatre, I began developing my critical appreciation for movies. It also has a unique atmosphere from the 80s and carefully curated film selections.
7. What is your dream job in the film industry?
8. Which film director would you like to be?
Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird, Little Women, …). I recently found out about her occasional practice of dressing like the actors in order to create an authentic environment, which shows an endearing commitment to her movies.
9. Which film character do you most identify with?
I identify myself with Therese Belivet from the movie Carol (US, 2015) by Todd Haynes as her sensitivity, introspective nature, and shyness reflect my own personality traits.
10. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Le Fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain (FR, 2001) directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet with the soundtrack composed by Yann Tiersen.
11. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
If I had to live in a movie, my choice would be Autumn Tale (FR, 1998) by Éric Rohmer. This movie reminds me of what I cherish the most in life: thoughtful conversations and genuine connections we form along the way. The serene environment of the French countryside during autumn also creates an ethereal scenario.