Cinema for me is…
Ioannis in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
My passion for making and watching films drives me.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: I can bring people together.
Worst habit: I can be lazy.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
The view of mount Hymettus from the rooftops in Athens.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Rice stuffed tomatoes and peppers, a classic pick.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
‘Περιδίνηση’ (Peridinisis), when a body (object) spins around a vertical axis, often metaphorically.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
Lisbon and London.
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
Germany or Portugal are both countries that I can see myself living in.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
It provides cultural outlets for its citizens, promotes inclusiveness and aims for political awareness.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Der Himmel über Berlin (Wim Wenders, 1987, DE).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
The cinema in the middle of Sygrou street with the red and grey sits, the dark bar and the sign with the name Microcosmos. This theatre is a connecting link between the heart of the city and the movies.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Oh-Daesu from Old Boy (Park Chan-wook, 2003, KR).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Thomas Wittenberg but I want to see where I take myself.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
Two young people, homeless, a boy and a girl celebrate each other as Paris celebrates the National day with fireworks and music and wine. They dance and fall deeper and deeper in love.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Malmkrog (Cristi Puiu, 2020, RO)
Om det oändliga (Roy Andersson, 2019, SE)
António Um Dois Três (Leonardo Muramateus, 2017, BR)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Jep Gambardella from La Grande Bellezza (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013, IT).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Van den Budenmayer Concerto from La double vie de Véronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991, FR).
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
In Jan Svankmajer’s Surviving Life (Theory and Practice) (2010, CZ).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
A drawing voiced by Louis Theroux.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be a comedian.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
My Contax G2 camer.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having brough people together during the production of my work.
23. What is your motto?
The best work is produced during the night.