Cinema for me is…
Zhana in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Optimist, life enjoyer, passionate, curious, open-minded, creative, colorful soul and style, expressive, artistic, sometimes too theatrical (blaming all the movies I’ve seen).
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
My best quality is that I keep my smile and my optimism always on point. My worst habit is wanting to do too many tasks simultaneously, I end up with several sleepless nights.
3. Your dream job?
Establishing a film festival with the focus on avant-garde cinema.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Bulgaria’s nature is incredible. We have in one reach the Black Sea and 37 mountains, what could you wish more?
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Banitza with boza. That is the most traditional Bulgarian dish. The combination of the crispy though with the creamy white cheese of the banitza, finished by the thickness and strong taste of the boza…
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
‘Ujde konya u rekata‘ (Уйде коня у реката) = The horse went to the river. It means that something unpleasant occurred.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
I lived in Prague for 6 months in the winter.
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
Portugal or Spain.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
The freedom which Europe gives to everyone, not only to Europeans. The fact that so may cultures and understandings are gathered under the European roof. Possibilities, possibilities, possibilities.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen (2011, US).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
The Cinema House (Dom na Kinoto) in Sofia. Although so many years have passed, it has retained authenticity.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Jeanne Dielman in Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975, BE).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
She stood in front of the mirror and slowly tucked in her fairy blouse. The aftermath of the sudden loss of control was visible on her face. Jeanne disappeared from our sight and returned vigorously. She plunged the scissors in his throat; a mournful moan came out of his mouth. Jeanne left the room.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Druk (Thomas Vinterberg, 2020, DK)
Gunda (Viktor Kosakovskiy, 2020, NO)
Charlatan (Agnieszka Holland, 2020, CZ)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Hildy Johnson in His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1940, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
The soundtrack of Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (Sergio Leone, 1966, IT) composed by Ennio Morricone.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Frederico Fellini’s La Dolce Vita (1960, IT).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To talk with animals.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
A beautiful crystal I got as a present in Peru.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Being a free soul.
23. What is your motto?
Grow a little every day.