Cinema for me is…
Nikolas is 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
An avid cinema fanatic and a strong independent man with a lust for life.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
I am a kind soul who always seeks the best in people. I love being around people and i would like to think that they like being around me.
Drinking too many coffees and smoking and as a result of that, procrastination.
3. Your dream job?
Directing and producing my scripts, and thus have complete creative freedom of my work.
4. What do you like most about your country?
The sun and the beaches, the short distance drives, the outgoing lifestyle, the food culture and the people that know how to love and care. In general the good quality of life.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
‘Τομάτες με τ’αυκά’ (Tomatoes with eggs). It’s a very basic dish consisting of cooked tomatoes with eggs. Just delicious!!
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
πιθκιαβλοζάμπης – ‘pithkiavlozambis’ . The person who has very thin thighs that resemble a pithkiavli, a Cypriot traditional flute.
7. What European capital have you visited lately? Athens because my grandma lives there. A great and vibrant city in general.
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
Having already lived in Madrid for a short period of time for my Erasmus exchange, i would most definitely live there again. Everything about Madrid is awesome. EVERYTHING!!!
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Intercultural transactions, diversity, freedom.
Even though we are experiencing more and more the rise of xenophobia and the rise of even more boarders (Brexit), i would like to believe in a Europe that stays unite and respectful towards the diversity of its people. I, myself feel like a child of Europe, as I am a Cypriot who has studied in Scotland and in Spain and because of my European identity I was able to have access to free education.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Tough question. But most probably it’s All About my Mother by Almodóvar.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
The Filmoteca Española (cine Dore) in Madrid. It’s a beautifully preserved film theater, with a retro look. I particularly appreciated the arthouse programming.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Solomon Northup from 12 years a Slave.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
Raging Bull (1980) by Martin Scorsese
The most dramatic moment in the movie comes at the end when Jake La Motta is put in jail. He is at the lowest point he has ever been. La Motta has hit the bottom. The one source low- key lighting expresses the emotional state of the character. Like a raging bull he punches the walls hurting himself and then sits on the bed crying. We do not see his face but we hear him sobbing. It is the first time the audience sees La Motta having a breakdown and crying. A very simple but powerful scene.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Dolor y gloria (Pedro Almodovar, 2019) ES Les Misérables, Ladj Ly, 2019) FR O que Arde (Oliver Laxe, 2019) ES
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Probably Xavier Dolan’s character in ‘I Killed my Mother’.
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
The soundtrack of Pulp Fiction it’s a great way to understand the role of music in films and the way it can elevate and accentuate its character and style. Tarantino describes his soundtracks as the soul of his movies and in Pulp Fiction we can definitely feel the soul.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
La Grande Belleza (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013) IT
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
I wish I could sing, but, I really just can’t.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
A movie notebook where I write down all the movies I have watched since 2010.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having directed my first television series starting at the age of 23. It is called ‘La Famiglia’ Alpha Tv, Cyprus (end of and season 1 and the whole season 2). My greatest achievement though was the deep relationships I developed with the cast and crew, and understanding how good i am at bringing the best out of people.
23. What is your motto?
Live, Love, Laugh…Intensely!!!