Cinema for me is…
Gregor in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Still learning who I am while afraid of finding out.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Breadth of interests. Indecisiveness.
3. Your dream job?
Writer, composer or astrophysicist.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Its “pocket” size. You can live in the countryside and drive across the country every day to work in the capital.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Grandma’s … whatever. It applies to every Slovene, every grandma and every dish. Also, “kremšnita”.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
“čmrlj” – meaning bumblebee. I like how it sounds … And it is also funny to see how non-native speakers struggle with pronunciation. Try it if you dare.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Diversity, unity, prosperity.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
As a child, I was mesmerized by computer-animated films. I don’t remember anymore which one exactly I fell in love with, but I love re-watching most of them even today.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
“Kino Sora”, a small unknown film theatre in my neighborhood with only one screening room. Despite the narrow selection of movies I love it for the intimate, cosy atmosphere that comes along with small audiences.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Wikus van de Merve from District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009, US).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
“I could have got more,” sighs Herr Oskar Schindler while holding back tears. Accompanied by John Willimas’ breathtaking score, a man, surrounded by dozens of Polish Jews who owe him their lives, breaks down under the guilt of not saving more, even if only one . He slips into the arms of his secretary, sobbing…
From Schindler’s List (Steven Spielberg, 1993, US).
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Loro (Paolo Sorrentino, 2018, IT)
Der Untergang (Oliver Hirschbiegel, 2004, DE)
Zimna wojna (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018, PL)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
“Victory” or any other composition by Thomas Bergersen. I am also a huge fan of Hans Zimmer and his scoring, especially for the movies Inception (Christopher Nolan, 2010, US) and Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017, US).
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2001-2002, US, 2003 NZ) – my personal bible of world-building. I could hardly get bored of it.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
The ability to not care about anything apart from the highest ideas. (Also recognizing them in the first place.)
21. What is your most treasured possession?
A folder named “my projects” on my backup hard drive. Since primary school I have put so much effort and time into it, it now contains a large portion of my youth.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Successfully completing two grades of undergraduate physics program without having to neglect my other fields of interest.
23. What is your motto?
“He who piously seeks the infinite, though he will never reach it, ever advances.” by Hilary of Poitiers.