Cinema for me is…
Rosa in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
A brave Finn studying in Amsterdam. Independent, creative and caring.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
My best qualities are my spontaneity and creativity. My worst habit is napping when I should be studying.
3. Your dream job?
I would love to work in theater.
4. What do you like most about your country?
The nature. Finland has many wonderful qualities, but the nature is something I miss the most.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
I like the fact that Finns are affectionate, we call our loved ones “muru” which literally means “a crumb”.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
Well, I already reside in the Netherlands but I’d love to live in Spain. In Barcelona to be precise.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Good connections between countries, safety, home.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Not to be basic but it was Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994, US)
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
Kino Iiris in Lahti. It feels more intimate as it is not part of a big chain and the cinema is quite small and cozy compared to the bigger ones.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Mulan! Loved the movie since I was a small child.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Finnish Dome Karukoski. He’s gotten to do various kinds of interesting movies.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
In Tom of Finland (Dome Karukoski, 2017, FI) Touko and Veli go to buy yellow curtains as Veli is terminally ill and in a bad shape already. Yellow means a lot to the couple since they have previously argued about it being a colour for “sissies”. They decide on the curtain material, and as the saleswoman asks simple questions about cutting and packing the fabric, they stand in front of the counter hand in hand – which the men thought they’d never dare to do in this lifetime – and each answer one of the two questions the lady makes “I do”. The editing, lighting and mise-en-scène of the scene are simply astonishing.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Tom of Finland (Dome Karukoski, 2017, FI)
Ladri di Biciclette (Vittorio De Sica, 1948, IT)
Tuntematon sotilas (Aku Louhimies, 2017, FI)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Sometimes when I’m tired I feel a lot like the chicken from Moana (Ron Clements, John Musker, 2016, US). I wish to be more like Mulan though.
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
I love everything composed by Hans Zimmer.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Harry Potter for sure – probably one of the first ones when it’s still pretty safe to live in Hogwarts and learn all about magic (and mischief).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
That would be Mae Whitman. She is both funny and very talented, and I feel that would be needed in my life as it seems to be full of both, emotions and odd situations.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would love to know how to dance properly.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
My plush bunny that I was gifted right after I was born.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Moving abroad all by myself!
23. What is your motto?