Cinema for me is…
David in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
I have never particularly enjoyed word limits nor describing myself.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
My best quality is being a perfectionist. My worst habit is being a perfectionist.
3. Your dream job?
Being a film director.
4. What do you like most about your country?
It’s small and geographically diverse.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
My grandma used to make a great apple pie.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
I like the Croatian swear-word system. It’s liberating and creative – not appropriate to quote.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
History. Cultural Diversity. European films.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Being John Malkovich by Spike Jonze.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
My hometown’s Kino Urania. It’s one of the places that made me fall in love with cinema.
12. Who is your movie hero?
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
My own. I would like to have had the chance to live inside of Agnès Varda’s mind for one day.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
Little Eddie from Grey Gardens (Ellen Hovde, Albert Maysles, 1979, US) discussing astrology.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Le Grand Bain (Gilles Lellouche, 2018, FR)
Zimna Wojna (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018, PL)
Dogman (Matteo Garrone, 2018, IT)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Billy Bibbit from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Miloš Forman, 1975, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush or Life On Mars? by David Bowie.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Hair (Miloš Forman,1979, US).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
I’d like Kathy Bates to try.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
Playing the piano.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
I don’t treasure possessions.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Never giving up.
23. What is your motto?
Failing is a great opportunity to try again.
David Gašo is the Ambassador of Urania. Find out more about the Cinema here.