Cinema for me is…
Bulgaria, Philippe Morozov from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Philippe in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Persistent; Curious; Listener; Attentive; Protective; Doubting; Punctual; Diligent; Reticent; Appreciative
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: Truthfulness
Worst habit: Impatience.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
The quiet corners of the far northern Black Sea Coast.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Миш-маш (Mish-Mash) – a tomato, pepper, white cheese and egg scramble. Garlic and parsley make it even better.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
Умопомрачително – “mind-boggling”, quite literally. I actually also love it in English.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
In terms of lifestyle, I would generally be inclined to pick a Mediterranean country, yet I would probably be most serene and productive in the Netherlands.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Diversity; Mobility; Belonging
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
All That Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979) US
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
La Cinémathèque Française in Paris – inimitable programming, impressive attendance, technical excellence.
12. Who is your movie hero?
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Myself, ideally. Otherwise, why not R. W. Fassbinder? I like to keep myself busy.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984) DE: Dusk. As Jane enters the hotel room where her estranged husband, Travis, has arranged for her to reunite with her long-lost son, quiet ecstasy occurs. After a brief moment of bewilderment, mutual recognition and reciprocal affection shine through in their tight embrace. Travis, devastated yet undeserving of staying with them, observes the scene from the street below, enters his car and leaves town.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Raw (Julia Ducournau, 2016) FR
The Death of Louis XIV (Albert Serra, 2016) FR
The Ornithologist (João Pedro Rodrigues, 2016) PT
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Off the top of my head, Kaycee Moore as Stan’s wife in Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett, 1978)
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Midnight Cowboy (John Schlesinger, 1969) – Original Score by John Barry / “Everybody’s Talkin’” by Harry Nilsson (the main single from that same soundtrack)
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
In fairness, the films I love generally depict such cruel or devastating worlds and stories that I would avoid living in them by any means possible.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
A good singing voice.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
My father’s watch.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Keeping my mother proud even when most other things go wrong. (Also, my first short film.)
23. What is your motto?
Thus far, staying away from mottos has worked just fine for me, and I would like to keep it this way.