Cinema for me is…
Penny in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Trying to keep a smile on my face whenever possible.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: my positivity
Worst habit: biting my fingernails.
3. Your dream job?
Still figuring it out.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Our simultaneous begrudgery and warmth.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
Mo chuisle mo chroí – The pulse of my heart.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
I’d love to be a rich old lady living in Paris.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Different cultures, common goals and the will to work together.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The Wizard of Oz, I insisted on watching it daily as a child.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
I have to say the W Cinema in Westport, because I work there, but I really love the IFI and the Lighthouse cinemas in Dublin for their diverse programming.
12. Who is your movie hero?
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
It has to be the classic number from 1952’s Singin’ in the Rain (Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly, 1952, US). Gene Kelly’s Don is so ecstatically in love with Kathy that he sings and dances through the streets despite the downpour. It is a pure expression of joy that nothing can dampen.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Like Crazy (Paolo Virzi, 2016), IT
Handsome Devil (John Butler, 2016), IE
Personal Shopper (Olivier Assayas, 2016), FR.
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Olive from Little Miss Sunshine (Jonathan Dayton, Valerie Faris, 2006, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
I really like Wes Anderson’s Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009, US) soundtrack.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Any classic Hollywood musical, for the practical reason that everyone seems to be having a wonderful time.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
I never quite mastered cycling without hurting myself.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
Not strictly a possession, but my grandmother.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Taking part in 28 Times Cinema is definitely one of them!
23. What is your motto?
Sleep when you’re dead. I’m joking, I fall asleep too easily.