Cinema for me is…
Tomi in 25 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Open-minded, curious, reflective boy who likes films, books, art, languages.
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
3 best qualities: kindness, responsibility, communicativeness.
3 worst habits: I’m a procrastinator, can be a bit pedantic, a perfectionist.
3. What is your dream job?
Actor or director.
4. What do you like most about your country?
The diversity in a small area.
5. What is your favorite dish in your country?
Prekmurska gibanica (a type of cake).
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
‘Beseda’, which means ‘word’.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you?
A beautiful homeland.
10. What are the European values that you share?
Unity, friendship, openness.
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The Wizard of Oz by Victor Fleming (1939).
12. What is your favourite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
Kino Ptuj. It’s small yet with an air of coziness and age.
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
Cinema, online, TV, DVD.
14. Who is your movie hero?
Audrey Tautou as Amélie in Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001) or Rosamund Pike as Amy Dunne in Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014).
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
Alejandro Gonzáles Iñárritu.
16. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
From Les amours imaginaires (Xavier Dolan, 2010): Francis and Marie are at a party, but while others are having fun around them, they cannot take their eyes off Nicolas, who is dancing with his mother. Amid cynical words and cigarette smoke their imagination runs riot in light of their desired one before them, as the scene concludes with the three of them sleeping in Nicolas’ bed.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Son of Saul (Laslo Nemes, 2015) HU
Suffragette (Sarah Gavron, 2015) GB
Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2013) PL
Anna Karenina (Joe Wright, 2012) GB
Snow Therapy (Robert Ostlund, 2014) SE.
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
Andrew from Whiplash (2014), as portrayed by Miles Teller.
19. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Sountracks: Chicago, Amélie, Gone Girl.
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
My Fair Lady by George Cukor or Inception by Christopher Nolan.
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
23. What is your most treasured possession?
My collection of books.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Being chosen as the best secondary school student of the year in Slovenia.
25. What is your motto?
‘Per aspera, ad astra’ – Through hardship to the stars.