Cinema for me is…
Beth in 25 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words
Queer drag enthusiast in search of world’s best hummus recipe.
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
3 best qualities – Good at baking cake, ability to laugh at myself, rarely misplace my keys.
3 worst habits – Spilling everything I eat down my front, general clumsiness, eating too much cake.
3. What is your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
The absence of a prominent right-wing nationalist political party.
5. What is your favourite dish in your country?
3-in-1 (chips, rice, curry sauce – disgusting carby heaven).
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
Rí rá agus ruaille buaille – translates as a lot of noise and commotion, which isn’t particularly interesting but it’s very fun to say.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
I would probably say Germany because that’s where I’ve seen the best drag.
9. What does Europe mean to you?
I see Europe as a culturally rich and diverse continent and I feel privileged to be granted all of the rights and protections of a citizen of the European Union.
10. What are the European values that you share?
I suppose I share the European values of freedom and equality, but who doesn’t?
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Spice World by Bob Spiers.
12. What is your favorite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
My favourite cinema theatre is the Irish Film Institute in Dublin because they have a really solid programme of new art house and classic titles. Also comfy seats.
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
Definitely in a cinema theatre, I get too distracted anywhere else.
14. Who is your movie hero?
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
Noah Baumbach, so that Greta Gerwig would be my frequent collaborator and partner.
16. Briefly describe your favorite scene:
Probably the one in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit by Bill Duke, when they are singing Oh Happy Day for their first public performance and it’s going terribly until that very sweet boy hits the high note – pure joy.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Love & Friendship (Whit Stillman, 2016) GB
Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven, 2015) FR
The Survivalist (Stephen Fingleton, 2015) GB,
Victoria (Sebastian Schipper, 2015) DE
Rams (Grímur Hákonarson, 2015) IS
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
19. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Jim Sharman
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would like to be able to vogue with the best of them, or just be able to dance at all. I’m truly woeful.
23. What is your most treasured possession?
My menstrual cup.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
When I was 13 I sang the backing vocals on the Christmas album of a novelty turkey puppet.
25. What is your motto?
“If you shoot an arrow and it goes real high… hooray for you” – Dorian Corey.