Cinema for me is…
Nejc in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Nejc, a kind-hearted, hard-working, principled and clever guy from Ormož.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: Determination.
Worst habit: Making pun and dad jokes about every single thing.
3. Your dream job?
Journalist, Film critic.
4. What do you like most about your country?
How successful we are at most sports if we take into account that there’s only 2 million people in this crazy country.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
“Nič nemreš.” When there’s a hopeless situation you say “There’s nothing you can do”, this is a variation of that sentence that I frequently use.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Pride, Individuality, Unity.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone (Chris Columbus, 2001, US). I still remember how amazed I was as a kid at the scene of Hagrid flying in on a motorcycle and leaving Harry at the Dursley household.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
My former local theatre place in my hometown, because it still gives me a nostalgic feeling whenever I walk by it.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Daniel Plainview from There will be blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2008, US). Well this is awkward.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Paul Thomas Anderson.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
Patrick Bateman asks Paul if he likes a band called Huey Lewis and the News. Paul answers that they are OK. Bateman then goes into a monologue about the band’s album history and recent work while getting a raincoat and an axe from his closet. He then proceeds to play the song “Hip to be Square” and groove to it, gives his final thoughts about the song and proceeds to hack Paul Allen to death with his axe. After that he sits on the couch all bloodied up and lights up a cigar. American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000, US)
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Céline Sciamma, 2019, FR)
Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodóvar, 2019, ES)
Killing of a Sacred Deer (Yorgos Lanthimos, 2017, GR)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Turkish from Snatch (Guy Ritchie, 2000, GB).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
I have to mention both, my favorite soundtrack is in Howl’s Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki, 2004, JP) by Joe Hisaishi and my favorite song is “Hip to be Square” by Huey Lewis and the News in American Psycho (Mary Harron, 2000, US).
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Any Hayao Miyazaki movie, the beauty and peacefulness in his movies is unmatched.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to play the piano, specifically jazz style.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
All of the tickets that I have collected in the past years from various events that are special for me like specific movies, sport events and concerts of my favorite artists.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Graduating and getting my bachelor’s degree.
23. What is your motto?
“Life’s hard, it’s supposed to be. If we didn’t suffer, we’d never learn anything.” and many other wonderful quotes from the Before trilogy films (Richard Linklater).