Cinema for me is…
Joshua in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Ambitious green cineaste who’s always shooting for the moon.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
My passion for cinema and procrastination.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
The multiculturalism of all its people.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
“Blanne Jang” which is a sausage with cheese and bacon.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
“Moien”, which literally means “Morning”, but you can say it to greet someone at any time of the day.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Multiculturalism, solidarity and art.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
A bout de souffle / Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1959, FR).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
The Kinepolis Kirchberg. It is in the capital with visitors from around the world and they’ve got salty popcorn.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Samwise Gamgee in Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson, US).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
The perfectionist Stanley Kubrick.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
The final scene of Call Me by Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017, IT) where Elio sits with tears in front of the open fire after calling Oliver on the phone by his name.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Irréversible (Gaspar Noé, 2002, FR)
Les Misérables (Ladj Ly, 2019, FR)
The Broken Circle Breakdown (Felix van Groeningen, 2012, BE).
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky, 2012, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
“Mystery of Love” by Sufjan Stevens.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
All of my childhood was about Star Wars, so a galaxy far, far away it is.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
Oscar Isaac, for sure!
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
Play and compose music.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
Definitely my cat.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
The presentation of my short film A Daughter’s Call in a full theater at the Luxembourg City Film Festival.
23. What is your motto?
Do what you love and love what you do.