Cinema for me is…
Germany – Ella Knorz from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Ella in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Intensive, loving, focused, enthusiastic, energetic, small, quick, pointy, dreamy, observant.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Passionately living the art of life, and yet, I often think too much.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
Our colourful and cultural capital Berlin.
5. Your favourite dish in your country?
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean? Sehnsucht. It describes the feeling of longing for something.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Freedom, diversity, old traditions compounding with modernism.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
L’eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962) IT.
11. Your favourite film theatre? What do you like about it?
It is called Neues Off Kino and is one of the oldest cinemas in Berlin. It has a beautiful, magical room with a big screen – still it is very cozy. We also call it the Mermaid Cinema. The seats and curtains are all blue.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Ada in The Piano (Jane Campion, 1993) AU.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Maya Deren – at least I would love to live a day in her life.
14. Briefly describe your favourite scene
Ada arrives on the beach of Nowhere. It is cloudy and rainy, the crew is shivering in wetness, dragging their luggage to land. There it is, standing in the sand, Ada’s piano. As she liberates from its wooden box, Ada starts playing for the ocean. And her melody flows with the waves….
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Gunda (Viktor Kosakovskiy, 2020) NO
Undine (Christian Petzold, 2020) DE
Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (Céline Sciamma, 2019) FR.
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Guido Anselmi in 8 1/2.
17. Your favourite soundtrack or song?
Sergej Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto No. 2 – interpreted by Khatia Buniatishvili.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Call Me by Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017) IT.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
Amy Winehouse, if she lived.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
Being a language genius.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
My first videocamera. And my diaries.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Until this moment, I have always followed my inner voice.
23. What is your motto?
Passenger or pilot?