Cinema for me is…
Martynas in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
If I were a coffee, I would be an espresso.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Hardworking and believing in ideas.
Postponing the things that I want to learn.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
“Šaltibarščiai” – a cold pink soup.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
In Lithuania we don’t go ‘crazy’, we say ‘čiuožia stogas‘ (‘the roof is falling‘).
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Freedom – diversity – choice.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The film Les dites cariatides (Agnès Varda, 1984, FR) that I saw recently made me fall in love with cinema once again.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
I like a film theatre called ‘Romuva’ for its mysteriousness.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Diane ‘Die’ Després from Mommy (Xavier Dolan, 2014, CA).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
At first sight, a man is embracing the fish, the masculine figure shows its’ love and support, though at the same time, the fish is dying because it can’t breath.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
As Mil e Uma Noites, 3 volumes (Miguel Gomes, 2015, PT)
Beau travail (Claire Denis, 1999, FR)
Les glaneurs et la glaneuse (Agnès Varda, 2000, FR)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
The Manhattan in Manhattan ( Woody Allen, 1979, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Moderat – “A new error”.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Oncle Yanco (Agnès Varda, 1967, FR).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To play cello.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
To have one free year just for myself.
23. What is your motto?
I am a person without motto.