Cinema for me is…
Vojtech in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
I am a Czech aspiring writer/director who loves cinema.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Emotional intelligence is my best quality, being too blunt from time to time is probably my worst habit.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
Food, beer, cinema tradition, Karlovy Vary International Film Festival.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Czech Goulash with potato pancakes.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
“Bublifuk” = bubble blower
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Solidarity, Empathy and Freedom.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Watch Out, We’re Mad (Marcello Fondato, 1974, IT).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
British Film Institute Southbank in London – The atmosphere, the strong presence of filmmakers and the celebration of film.
12. Who is your movie hero?
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
The last dialogue scene between private Witt (Jim Caviezel) and sergeant Welsch (Sean Penn) in the Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick, 1998, US) – two halves which create the whole together meet for the last time in this world and they show their respect towards each other more by asking questions rather than answering them.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Lazzaro felice (Alice Rohrwacher, 2018, IT)
Loveless (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2017, RU)
Everybody Knows (Asghar Farhadi, 2018, ES).
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Sergeant Welsch (Sean Penn’s character from The Thin Red Line).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
The Thin Red Line soundtrack.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
The New World (Terrence Malick, 2005, US)
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To compose music.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
HDD with all my scripts and ideas.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
To follow my dreams – getting to FAMU, film directing course.
23. What is your motto?
Do everything in a way that you are able to look into your eyes in the mirror every morning.