Cinema for me is…
Jonė in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
I enjoy purposely wandering around and reading until dawn.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: I’m sincere
Worst habit: I tend to hesitate for ages before deciding no matter how little the matter is.
3. Your dream job?
I know it’s not a real job but I’d like to write letters.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Nature, forests especially and our folk songs.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Šaltibarščiai (cold beetroot soup) and tinginys (lazycake).
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
Šuoras (a gust of wind).
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Humanity, cultural diversity and immense cultural heritage and freedom of thought.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Breakfast at Tiffany’s (Blake Edwards, 1961, US).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
Skalvija because it is small and it makes old movies screenings and also great people work there.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Randle Patrick McMurphy from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (Milos Forman, 1975, US).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
In Amarcord by Frederico Fellini there is a dancing in the mist scene. As Nino Rota note by note develops his theme, this rite-like dance is joined peacefully one by one. The mist creates the atmosphere of a dream and liberates boys’ spirits and movements. Starting slowly with their hands stuck in their pockets, boys little by little discovers their unique roles.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Perfetti sconosciuti (Paolo Genovese, 2016), IT
Possession (Andrzej Żuławski, 1981), FR
Amarcord (Frederico Fellini, 1973), IT.
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Susan from Meet Joe Black (Martin Brest, 1998, US).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Take five by David Brubeck.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Kill your darlings (John Krokidas, 2013, US).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
Evanna Lynch maybe.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
Being able to draw would be fantastic.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
Analog photo camera and bicycle.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I’ve discovered Faulkner.
23. What is your motto?
If it is beautiful, stop for it and keep watching.
Jonė is the Ambassador of Skalvija. Find out more about the cinema here.