Cinema for me is
Czech Republic – Jakub Brych from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Jakub in 25 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words
Vincent Freeman, Paul Morel, Leland Stamper, Arkadij Svidrigajlov, Bartleby the Scrivener
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
3 best qualities: thoughtful, faithful, kind.
3 worst habits: lazy, disorganized, and narcissistic.
3. What is your dream job?
Successful independent musician.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Its general neutrality towards the world
5. What is your favorite dish in your country?
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
“Košatý” = rich and varying in structure
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you?
In modern context it represents effort to create some sort of unity
10. What are the European values that you share?
The importance of education and opportunities to study abroad
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King by Peter Jackson
12. What is your favorite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
Bio Oko cinema in Prague – I like its casual style, there is no uniformity in it, the selection of the films is also very well balanced.
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
Cinema definitely, and then DVD
14. Who is your movie hero?
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
16. Briefly describe your favorite scene
In Gattaca by Andrew Niccol Anton and Vincent compete in swimming for the last time. It’s dark and the sea is restless. They swim through the waves and Vincent dares to go further and further until Anton calls to him that they should go back. Vincent refuses and Anton continues with him. After a while he asks Vincent, how he did all of that. Vincent replies that he never saved anything for the swim back.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
The Lobster (Yorgos Lathimos, 2015) GR
Hungry Hearts (Saverio Costanzo, 2014) IT
Brooklyn (John Crowley, 2015) IE
Já, Olga Hepnarová (Petr Kazda, Tomás Weinreb, 2016) CZ
Ztraceni v Mnichově (Petr Zelenka, 2015) CZ
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
19. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Gattaca OST by Michael Nyman.
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
The Harry Potter saga.
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
23. What is your most treasured possession?
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
25. What is your motto?
I don’t have one.
Jakub is the ambassador of Scala. Find out more about the cinema here.
Postcard from Venice: