Cinema for me is…
Seleste in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
There is not enough words to describe a diplomat!
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: I always listen, even though it is not always best for me, but it is way too important for me, to make people to be heard.
Worst habit: I let people step on my toes, which is a really bad quality, because no one deserves to feel less of a person.
3. Your dream job?
My dream job is to work in a little cozy cinema, where I can meet people who share the same interests as me.
4. What do you like most about your country?
The thing I love the most about my country is the fact, that no matter who you meet, you will always have at least on friend in common.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
I can’t really say, that this dish is a traditional Latvian dish, because it is known in most Post-Soviet countries, but if I had to say it would be “Olivier salad”.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
My favorite phrase in my native language would be “Filmu ieteikumi?”, which means “Film suggestions?”, because I always love to recommend something to watch.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
The most recent European capital I have visited would be Milan, I didn’t spend a lot of time there, because I have been there before, but I always enjoy my time there.
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
I probably would love to live in Italy, because of the people and the language. I would never reject an offer to go to Italy.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Europe to me, means safety, trust and open-mindedness.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
The film that probably made me fall in love with Cinema was One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (Milos Forman, 1975, US), this film showed me, that Cinema can be much more that just a moving picture with expectable plot, but it can be a roller-coaster filled with emotions and unexpected turns.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
My favorite film theater is Kino Bize, it is a small, but always warm and welcoming theater. You can always expect great film range and pleasant experience.
12. Who is your movie hero?
My movie hero is Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade from Scent of a Woman (Martin Brest, 1992, US), because of the way he talks about women.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
I would like to be Alejandro Jodorowsky, because his life has been so full of unexpected plots and the way he can make his life experience in to the movies is unbelievably good.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
My favorite scene in from movie Chunking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994, HK), where police officer eats too much pineapple and compares his previous relationships to it.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Spalovac mrtvol (Juraj Herz, 1969, CZ)
Orfeu Negro (Marcel Camus, 1959, FR)
A Vida Invisível (Karim Aïnouz, 2019, BR)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
The character I identify the most probably is Puss In Boots (Chris Miller, 2011, US), I love to be alone and be brave and adventurous , but when I meet the right people I enjoy their company and even open up.
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
My favorite soundtrack probably would be from a Latvian movie Četri balti krekl (Rolands Kalniņš, 1967, LV).
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
If I had to live in a movie, I would choose Singin’ in the rain (Stanley Donen, Gene Kelly, 1952, US), because then I atleast would now, how to sing and dance.
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
If someone had to play role of me, it probably would be Winona Ryder or Helena Bonham Carter, hoping that It would be directed by Tim Burton.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
Talent that I really would like to have, is to be a great story teller as my friend Linda. Every story can sound interesting, if only you know how to present it.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
Even though I don’t consider my friends to be my possession, I treasure them more each and every day.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I consider my biggest achievement to be grown up as a person whit whom I willingly enjoy spending my time with.
23. What is your motto?
In the words of Paul McCartney “Let it be”!