Cinema for me is…
Joël in 23 Frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
They call me Joël, and I like to see moving pictures.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
I am not easily stressed.
I can also be quite stubborn.
3. Your dream job?
My dream job is to be a treasure hunter, and possibly steal the declaration of independence.
4. What do you like most about your country?
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
‘Elk nadeel heb z’n voordeel’ – It means: ‘Every downside has an upside’.
It might not be true, but it gives you some hope.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
– Freedom of expression
– Freedom of movement
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Mon Oncle (Jacques Tati, 1958, FR).
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
Cinema Cartoons in Antwerp. It’s not too big, right in the city centre, and with a wide variety of movies.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Paul Thomas Anderson.
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
Werner Herzog, I really like the sound of his voice, and his films as well of course.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
When his omelette order is against diner policy, Jack Nicholson is not impressed by it and the execution of it by the waitress.
He does not end up with an omelette. – Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970, US).
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Zimna wojna (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2018, PL)
Diamantino (Gabriel Abrantes, Danielm Schmidt, 2018, PT)
Stroszek (Werner Herzog, 1977, DE)
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Shaun from Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright, 2004, GB).
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Favourite soundtrack: Inside Llewyn Davis (Ethan and Joel Coen, 2013, US).
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
What We Do in the Shadows (Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, 2014, NZ).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be a polyglot.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
The Philosophers Stone.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I think being born is in itself a great achievement.
23. What is your motto?
‘Every pizza deserves a pineapple, every pineapple deserves a pizza’