Cinema for me is…
Jakub in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
Creative, curious, enthusiastic, optimistic, collaborative, open-minded, unconventional, strong-willed, cynical, dreamer.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: Creativity.
Worst habit: Sleeping too long or inability to keep a clean workspace.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
Our nature (forests, hills, vast fields).
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Segedin stew or steak with potato-mayonnaise salad.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
Margarétka. It is a kind of flower, ox-eye-daisy if I’m not mistaken.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
United Kingdom, Czech Republic or one of the Scandinavian countries.
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Freedom, progress and community.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones trilogies.
11. Your favorite film theatre? What do you like about it?
Cinemax Bratislava. It provides the best sound quality I ever experienced in theatre. I also like film theatre Zahoran in Malacky for its intimacy.
12. Who is your movie hero?
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
David Fincher, Quentin Tarantino or Denis Villeneuve.
14. Briefly describe your favorite scene.
It’s hard to pick one, but I do love the opening scene in The Social Network (David Fincher, 2010, US) for Sorkin’s great dialogue that provides such an intelligent exposition of characters hidden in its seemingly ordinary exchange of words. I also can’t resist the cheesy beauty of “I love you, Tommy” scene at the end of movie Warrior (Gavin O’Connor, 2011, US) and brutal tension of “box scene” at the end of Seven (David Fincher, 1995, US).
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Toni Erdman (Maren Ade, 2016), DE
Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015), HU
In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008), US.
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
BoJack Horseman and Nemo Nobody.
17. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
Howard Shore’s score for Lord of the Rings and Trent Reznor’s score for The Social Network.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001, JP), Before Sunset (Richard Linklater, 2004, US) or Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011, US).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
21. What is your most treasured possession?
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Studying in the UK and pursuing my dream of becoming a filmmaker.
23. What is your motto?
Jakub is the Ambassador of Kino Film Europe. Find out more about the cinema here.