Cinema for me is…
Poland – Jakub Wanat from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Jakub in 23 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words.
If you liked The Tree Of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011, US), we’re not friends.
2. Your best quality? Your worst habit?
Best quality: good listener
Worst habit: always late.
3. Your dream job?
4. What do you like most about your country?
The unique way Poles approach life.
5. Your favorite dish in your country?
Schabowy with mizeria.
6. Which word or phrase in your native language do you like the most and what does it mean?
Pretty random, but I’m going to go with “trząść” – just because it’s so hard to pronounce, it means « to tremble».
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe mean to you? 3 values.
Freedom, tradition, home.
10. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
“The Hours” (Stephen Daldry, 2002, US).
11. Your favourite film theatre? What do you like about it?
Nowe Horyzonty cinema in Wrocław – absolutely the best art-house cinema in Poland with an amazing vibe.
12. Who is your movie hero?
Antoine Doinel (from 5 films by Francois Truffaut).
13. Which movie director would you like to be?
14. Briefly describe your favourite scene.
There’s this scene in Kim Ki-Duk’s “3-iron” (KI-duk Kim, 2004, KR), where the main protagonist is kissing his lover, while she’s hugging her husband. It resonates with me so much because of its ambiguity – the husband isn’t aware that he’s just a part of the triangle. The other thing is that it’s just a perfect representation of how the lover has found the way to hide the main protagonist (who can be interpreted as her longing for freedom) within her everyday life.
15. What are the 3 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Staying Vertical (Alain Guiraudie, 2016), FR
Sieranevada (Cristi Puiu, 2016), RO
Quand on a 17 ans (Andre Techine, 2016), FR.
16. Which film character do you most identify with?
Michel Poiccard (“Breathless” Jean Luc Godard, 1960, FR).
17. Your favourite soundtrack or song?
Song: First Hate – Holiday & The Smiths – There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Movie soundtrack: Dancer in The Dark.
18. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972, US).
19. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
Young Vincent Cassel.
20. Which talent would you most like to have?
The talent of acting.
21. What is your most treasured possession?
The “Psycho” poster I have on my wall.
22. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Taking part in 28 Times Cinema, but also being the head of the Film Column in Polish biggest students’ magazine.
23. What is your motto?
Don’t have a motto, but here’s one of my fav quotes: “I don’t know if I’m unhappy because I’m not free, or if I’m not free because I’m unhappy”.