Cinema for me is…
Denmark – Maj Rafferty Hansen from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Maj Rafferty in 25 frames…
1. Describe yourself in ten words
An experimenting, philosophical, misfit, curious, strangely attractive, blue haired female alien.
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
3 best qualities: adventurous, passionate, patient.
3 worst habits: stubborn, slightly provocative at times and people who are close to me often get annoyed by this strange habit I have of twitching them.
3. What is your dream job?
Something which inspires me.
4. What do you like most about your country?
That it has a welfare state.
5. What is your favourite dish in your country?
The Christmas dessert, risalamande, rice pudding with cherry sauce.
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
Anekdote. It’s the same as in English, but I really like the sound of it in Danish.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe means to you?
Cultural values, history and ideals.
10. What are the European values that you share?
A common understanding of the above.
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
I can’t remember. Maybe I was always in love.
12. What is your favourite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
I have a magic seat in a cinema called Grand in Copenhagen. It’s on a small balcony. Outside the seating area there is a window where the most amazing lights come through.
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
In the cinema or on a projector.
14. Who is your movie hero?
I have many. You can never have too many heroes. But definitely Maya Deren is one. A strong and pioneering woman.
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
I love the late Andrzej Zulawski’s work.
16. Briefly describe your favourite scene
My favourite scene has to be the end of Woody Allen’s Manhattan. The scene when Tracy turns around surprised to see Isaac as she is about to go to London. He tries to convince her to stay and she then drops the iconic line “Not everyone gets corrupted. You gotta have a little faith in people”.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
Im Spinnwebhaus (Mara Eibl-Eibesfeldt, 2015) DE
Flotel Europa (Vladimir Tomic, 2015) DK
Darker Than Midnight (Sebastian Riso, 2014) IT
La Belle et La Bête (Jean Cocteau, René Clément) FR
The Turin Horse (Bela Tarr and Agnes Hranitzky, 2011) HU
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
Currently I feel like Patricia in À Bout de Souffle by Jean-Luc Godard.
19. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Being John Malkowhich by Spike Jonze.
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
Viv Albertine and Winona Ryder’s fantasy child.
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
I wish I could drive a car.
23. What is your most treasured possession?
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Hopefully it’s still yet to come.
25. What is your motto?
When something breaks, make a wish.