Cinema for me is…
Evangelos in 25 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words
Positive, friendly, polite, cynical, outgoing, judicial, funny, compulsive (to myself), control-freak, ironic.
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
3 best qualities: Judicial, Good listener, Optimistic
3 worst habits: Biting my nails, Phone addict, not stepping out of my comfort zone.
3. What is your dream job?
Musical Theatre Artist.
4. What do you like most about your country?
There are all four seasons and lot of sun during all of them.
5. What is your favorite dish in your country?
Gemista with feta cheese.
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
Vrikame papa, as thapsume penteksi (We found a priest, let’s burry 5-6 people) – We say that for cases when someone is willing to or he has time to do something, he is being asked to do extra things. The priest and the dead people is a metaphor, a simile.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
Athens and in another country Amsterdam.
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
9. What does Europe means to you?
A diversity of people, cultures and landscapes that you can have access to and get familiar with really easily.
10. What are the European values that you share?
Democracy, solidarity, hospitality.
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Amélie by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.
12. What is your favorite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
Olympion theater at Thessaloniki, Greece – I like the decoration and the fact that it can be so formal and so cozy at the same time
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
Cinemas and especially open-air cinemas (in summer) and online at home.
14. Who is your movie hero?
Laurence Alia – Laurence Anyways (2012)
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
16. Briefly describe your favorite scene
Laurence Anyways (2012) by Xavier Dolan
Laurence and Fred meet each other after years and she invites her to leave with her.
They stare at each other. The song “A New Error” by Moderat starts playing and we see them leaving the house and walking together, hugging and smiling and colorful clothes are falling from the sky around them. A moment of absolute happiness.
The clothes, the frames that Dolan uses and this particular piece of music makes this scene if not my favorite, one of them.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
The Lobster ( Yorgos Lanthimos, 2015) GR
Interruption (Yorgos Zois, 2015) GR
The Bélier Family (Éric Lartigau, 2015) FR
Son of Saul (László Nemes, 2015) HU
Suntan (Argyris Papadimitropoulos, 2016) GR.
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
Zazu – The Lion King (1994) by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff
19. Your favorite soundtrack or song?
The “A Single Man” OST by Abel Korzeniowski.
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
Cabaret (1972) by Bob Fosse.
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
A blonde Xavier Dolan (Not “Tom à la ferme” blonde).
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to sing any kind of music, from rock to opera.
23. What is your most treasured possession?
An old medium format twin-lens reflex camera called “Lubitel 2”. It is not expensive at all but it was the first thing my mother bought with her first salary back in the 80’s and it was the camera that made me deal with analogue photography.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Having true friends and making the decision to start doing only what I really like.
25. What is your motto?
“Have no friends not equal to yourself” Confucius.