Cinema for me is…
Germany – Cora Frischling from Europa Cinemas on Vimeo.
Cora in 25 frames
1. Describe yourself in ten words
I am open, curious and would like to travel everywhere.
2. What are your 3 best qualities and your 3 worst habits?
Best: Eager to learn, I am organized and I love laughing
Worst: I would love to be more daring, take more risks and be more patient.
3. What is your dream job?
I haven’t figured it out yet. It should involve film and travel.
4. What do you like most about your country?
Cliché, but that everything from trains to health insurance is well organized.
5. What is your favorite dish in your country?
Spätzle – one of the few vegetarian German dishes.
6. What is the word or the expression in your native language that you like the most and what does it mean?
Fernweh – the longing to travel far away.
7. What European capital have you visited lately?
8. Other than your own, which European country would you love to live in?
France and Belgium.
9. What does Europe mean to you?
Freedom through cooperation.
10. What are the European values that you share?
Democracy, peace and tolerance.
11. What film made you fall in love with cinema?
Mr. Nobody by Jaco Van Dormael.
12. What is your favorite cinema theatre and what do you like about it?
I love the Passage Neukölln, Berlin, because it’s a beautiful ancient theatre and has a nice café in the back.
13. Where do you like to watch movies and on which platform (DVD, online, cinema, mobile phone, etc.)?
Cinema, online and sometimes DVD though my DVD collection hasn’t gotten much bigger the last 3 years.
14. Who is your movie hero?
I love Amélie Poulain and Ronja the Robber’s Daughter.
15. If you were a movie director which one would you like to be?
Jaco van Dormael.
16. Briefly describe your favorite scene
In Heartbreakers by Xavier Dolan there is a beautiful sequence where two best friends watch the man they have both fallen in love with dance, each of them having their own associations with him: Michelangelo’s David and drawing by Jean Cocteau.
17. What are the 5 best European films you have seen in the last year?
The Brand New Testament (Jaco van Dormael, 2015) BE
Wild (Nicolette Krebitz, 2016) DE
Aloys (Tobias Nölle, 2016) FR – CH
Toni Erdmann (Maren Ade, 2016) DE
Son of Saul (Laslo Nemes, 2015) HU
18. Which is the film character that you most identify with?
Tough one. Whenever I feel like I’m backing out of something I think of Vicky from Woody Allen’s Vicky Cristina Barcelona and the frustrating feeling I had watching her go through with her pre-planned life. I completely understood her, though.
19. What is your favorite soundtrack or song?
The whole soundtrack of A Single Man, by Abel Korzeniowski.
20. If you had to live in a movie, which one would you like it to be?
The Brand New Testament in the end, with Éa’s mom as the new goddess.
21. Your life becomes a bio-pic. Who plays the role of you?
I’d love an animated version.
22. Which talent would you most like to have?
23. What is your most treasured possession?
A radio my grandfather made me.
24. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Probably taking the step to change my career.
25. What is your motto?
I don’t really have one, but it would probably be something like “learn from failure – it makes you appreciate everything that comes afterwards even more”.